When a loved one’s death certificate is completed, the family will be contacted by our pre-need and after-care specialist. She will discuss with the family the best way to get the certificates to them, whether we mail them, they pick them up, or we drop them off. The certificates are placed in a packet, complete with important information.
- This packet includes tips on avoiding identity theft, getting the most out of the social security and veteran’s benefits you may be entitled to, and information on the design and creation of a cemetery marker or monument.
- In the packet, our families will also find a survey provided by the International Order of the Golden Rule. This organization is an association of locally owned Golden Rule funeral homes, committed to providing “Service measured not by gold, but by the Golden Rule.” By completing this survey, our families provide us with invaluable information based on the service we provided them. Each of these surveys are reviewed by our funeral directors and we use the replies to continually improve our service to the families we serve.
Howard R. Laman Memorial Library
Located at the Shawnee Chapel, our library offers a wide selection of books that cover a variety of topics dealing with grief.
As a full-service funeral home, we can also assist with the great deal of paperwork to be completed after the death of a loved one. Chiles–Laman Funeral & Cremation Services is proud to provide our families with the option of filing an Insurance Assignment between their life insurance company and our funeral home. This allows the funeral home to make and process the claim and all necessary paperwork to the insurance company for the payment of the proceeds. Taking advantage of this service relieves you from this sometimes difficult procedure. Should you decide to file the insurance claim yourself, we are still available to assist you with any questions you may have.
Community Support Groups
Our community has several support groups that meet to help you through the grieving process.
Grief Share, a local support group
- It is 13 week support group with a workbook, DVD, and support group for those who have lost a loved one.
- It is held at Shawnee Alliance Church, 4455 Shawnee Road. Call the church for meeting times: 419-991-6546.
Share. Pregnancy & Infant Loss Support, Inc. Peer support group meeting
Second Tuesday of each month, no meetings during June, July, and August. 7 – 8 p.m. in the Garden Conference Room inside Allison Radiation Center, corner of Market & Collette. For more information, please call Stephanie: 419-226-9237, or for immediate response, call St. Rita’s Call-A-Nurse: 1-800-437-4827
Meetings do not require membership, are free, and are open to bereaved parents who have experiences the death of a baby due to early pregnancy loss, stillbirth, or in the first few months of life, regardless of how much times has passed since the loss. Friends and family of the bereaved are also welcome to attend.
P.A.L.S. Persons Affected by a Loved One’s Suicide.
- Fourth Thursday of every month (third Thursday of November and December). 7 – 8:30 p.m. at Blanchard Valley Regional Health Center, 2nd floor of the Ruse Building, at the corner of S. Main and Wallace, above the Emergency Room.
“Compassionate Friends” www.compassionatefriends.org
- For more information, please call 1-877-969-0010, or the Putnam County Chapter: 419-659-2475
- This group offers friendship and understanding to parents who have experienced the death of a child.
Support for Widows
- For more information, please call the YWCA: 419-228-8664
Bereavement Support Groups for Adults, Young Widows/Widowers, & Camps for School Aged Children
- For more information, please call Herb, Barb, Karen, or Kim: 419-226-9064, or 1-800-332-4724
- A variety of support is offered to Allen, Auglaize, and Putnam Counties through St. Rita’s Hospice.
Grief Care www.putnamhealth.com/EmptyArms.htm
- For more information, please call the Lima Community Church: 419-223-9646
- This is a 13-week informational seminar and support group on the grieving process
- Phone lines open 24 hours/ 7 days a week: 1-800-567-HOPE (4673)
- They offer crisis counseling
Lutheran Social Services
- For more information, please call 419-229-2222
- Have grief counseling and grief support groups available